Miss Janice is hosting a wonderful Southern Lady Celebration Giveaway. The giveaway includes a package of signed and personalized southern books by fabulous Southern Ladies such as Sister Schubert and Laurie Smith! I love Laurie! She's too cute for words and I just love her decorating style. I've been a big fan since her early days on Trading Spaces. Y'all go over and visit Miss Janice's post here if you're interested in attending the Southern Lady Celebration (wish I could!) or to enter the giveaway!
In honor of Celebrating the Southern Lady, I thought that I'd share a list of things that define the South for me. But, this list is just a small start. It's really the overall culture that defines the South for me.
1. Sweet Tea: This is just a given. As I mentioned before, I don't consider Florida to be the real South. One of the reasons why is because some restaurants don't have real freshly brewed and sweetened iced tea. They either try to serve that instant crap (I can tell the difference!) or they offer that yucky raspberry iced tea (what??).
2. Moon Pies: This needs no explanation. If you haven't had one, you must. Eat it with an RC Cola if you want the full experience.
3. Southern Gentlemen: There's nothing like a man who was raised right by his Mama! Extra points for those Gents who wear seersucker and bowties - oh, and Lilly too!
4. Southern Drawls - Southern Gentleman + Southern Drawl = Swoon! I love to hear a Southern Drawl in Florida. It just reminds me of home.
5. People With Manners: Really, I don't think that people are taught manners anymore. My old boss was actually offended when I let a "Yes M'am" slip out. She would promptly inform me how long and hard she worked to get where she was and that she wasn't some old lady so don't call her M'am because it's demeaning. Really? Does anyone else feel like feminism has killed being feminine? That's a post for another time.
6. Traditional Family Values: You can disagree if you like, but I feel like this Country has long forgot about family values and our children are suffering because of it.
7. Sun Drop: I want some now please. But, that will have to wait until the baby gets here. Dang you pregnancy induced hypertension!
8. ACC Basketball and Football Season: I'm an ACC girl. GO WOLFPACK! (I attended NC State for my undergraduate degree) Girls dressing up in school colors, boys wearing a shirt and tie, cheering on the Wolfpack and jeering those Tar Heels, Deacons, and Dookies! :)
9. Southern Hospitality: This goes back to the Southern Culture that I love and miss so much. Neighbors bring over baked goods when they see someone new has moved onto the street. Women organize enough food to last a couple of weeks when a loved one has passed or a new baby is born. Gentlemen tip their hats to ladies and hold the door open. People smile and wave at strangers because there are no strangers in the South. It's about honest to goodness morals, values, and kindness.
10. A True Love for God, Family, Freedom, and Country.
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to add to my list!