At the end of my last post, I mentioned my disdain for Wal-Mart. I've received a few comments in response so I thought that I would elaborate on why I hate Wal-Mart and try my best to avoid shopping there.
Before I begin, let me say that this list is not all-inclusive in my loathing of all things Wally World and is based solely on my own personal experiences in multiple store locations throughout North Carolina and southwest Florida. For your sake my friends, I really truly hope that your local Wal-Mart rocks!
1. DIRTY! With the exception of the fairly new Super Wal-Mart by my house, every other Wal-Mart I've been in is a wreck. The aisles are crowed, the shelves are a mess, and it's just an overall unpleasant environment. Granted, it has to be hard to keep a store that large tidy when you have mass droves of customers with unruly children running through the store. So, I'll give them a little bit of a break which brings me to reason #2.
2. Unruly Children! Ok, you can find misbehaving children in just about any store but lucky me, I run into more of them in Wal-Mart than any other place. I'm still somewhat of a new Mother since I just have a 14 month old and soon to have a newborn. But, I hope and pray to God that my children don't ever act like that in a store. If they do, I would leave.
3. It Smells! This complaint is specific to the aforementioned Super Wal-Mart down the road. Most of the store is ok until you get to the grocery section. You know those grates in the floor where water can run into? I'm pretty sure that something or multiple somethings crawled into those pipes and died. That smell permeates throughout the grocery section. Why does anyone buy food there? It just makes me want to accidentally spill a bottle of bleach down one of those grates.
4. Red Meat. Yeah, beef is supposed to be red when you buy it. But, your filet mignon should not still be bright red after you've cooked it to a crisp because you were so perplexed as to why it didn't look done. Never.Ever.Again. Obviously, we didn't eat it and that's what I get for buying filet mignon at Wal-Mart. My bad.
5. Habla Ingles? You can call me a snob, an elitist, a right-wing conservative nut case. I don't care. If I walk into a place of business in the United States, I expect the employees who deal with the public to both speak and understand English. I shouldn't have to play a game of charades and point to my big pregnant stomach to find out if you sell maternity clothes and then you still don't understand me.
6. Weirdos Galore! What's with all of the weirdos, scary people, and those in denial of all of their jiggly but still wearing spandex doing at Wal-Mart? I've been freaked out and grossed out on more than one occasion. If you can relate, you'll get a laugh out of this website - www.peopleofwalmart.com
For your viewing pleasure, courtesy of People of Walmart:
I so don't need to see this but it happens all the time around here. People think that just because the beach is 15 minutes away, that THIS is ok. Wrong. Oh.So.Wrong!
Seriously?! Honey, that's one rainbow no one wants to see! UGH!
7. Lack of Variety. For such a large store, I find that Super Wal-Mart has a lack of variety particularly in the household products and grocery items. They'll carry only a couple of brands of a certain item and that's it. I've been disappointed several times to find that they don't carry the products I'm used to purchasing either at the grocery store or at Target. I'm guessing they can keep their prices down by negotiating with fewer vendors. It gives them more control and I understand it. I just don't like it.
Well, Little Bit just woke up from her nap. But, I think that this list is long enough for the time being. Feel free to add your comments!